older than dirtContact:
magicarp @ plurkOther Characters:
Vivienne de FerInterests:
Looking for explorations of the weird magical stuff that goes beyond the "normal" for Thedas. (No really, what was the bear blood for? Was it blood magic?) Providing a solid character who truly believes in the Chantry ideal. Letting the poor guy finally find some semblance of personal peace and a smidgen of happiness.
Free Marcher, Kaiten Occupation:
Seeker of Truth Age:
36HistoryDarton Family Timeline
- Aleron was born 20 minutes after his sister Ravonild. This caused much ado within his family over which twin should be the heir. Father favored the girl as the eldest, Mother favored Aleron and spent a lot of his young years hammering into his head his responsibilities to the family.
- Much of his early childhood was spent watching his twin cause trouble and having himself blamed for not stopping/protecting her.
- At age eight, a spat between the twins resulted in a family decision to divide them. His uncle arranged for Aleron to be sent to the Templars. That arrangement served to reinforce the family's devotion to the Chantry after all three of the uncle's children manifested as mages. None of this was explained to Aleron however, and to his knowledge, he was sent away in disgrace because his sister wanted to get rid of him.
- Three months into his time with the Templars, a young friend his age was killed by a mage trying to escape. Aleron took this very hard and finally started taking his training seriously. His intense dedication grabbed the attention of his superiors who had him sent to the Seekers of Truth.
- Aleron's mentor in the Seekers was devout in his faith, intensely serious, dedicated to finding the truth, and not particularly warm. Aleron respected him, but never found a fatherly figure in him. His mentor was wise enough to foster his apprentice's bookish nature, and encouraged Aleron to make a study of history and languages, in addition to the arts of war, believing that knowledge could be the best weapon a man could hold.
- The ensuing years found Aleron throwing himself headlong into his training and studies. When his sister married, he did not attend. Nor did he return home when his father died to a wasting sickness the following year, claiming that he could not leave. Shortly after, he begins his Vigil.
- Unknown to Aleron, his mother spends the next three years of his life petitioning for an allowance for him to marry. An allowance is granted when he is 20.
- His mother arranged a marriage, which he initially only acquiesced to out of obligation to the family. On meeting Mirielle, he fell hard for her. They formally courted for 1 year before marrying. She remained with her family while he continued to serve with the Seekers.
- Mirielle died a year into the marriage in childbed. Aleron, wracked with grief and guilt, requests to be sent out of Orlais and goes to Cumberland.
- 9:31 Dragon: he oversaw the relocation of the Circle from Starkhaven to Kirkwall due to the fire.
- 9:40 Dragon: He was escorting his mother back to Orlais from the Free Marches when word came of Lambert breaking the Nevarran Accord. People he dispatched to validate this never came back.Personality
Serious. To a fault. Because he's had to be. By nature, Aleron is inquisitive and scholarly with a sharp mind. Logical things, academic things, are his bread and butter. He can lose himself for hours digging and searching and learning anything and everything he can; once he sets his mind on something, he will not let it go until he's gotten down to the bottom of it. This makes him an excellent Seeker, but a lousy socialite. The problems at Kirkwall got by him and he'll never forgive himself for that.
Aleron's temper has a long fuse. His mother describes it as being like a thunderstorm: slow to build but vicious and explosive when unleashed. It takes something exceptional to make the man blow his stack: harming innocents, lying, betrayal, blood magic. Oh, and his twin sister, who he never forgave for having him sent away when they were eight. He himself would state that he is neither angry, nor bitter, but that is willful suppression of those feelings. They are pushed away and staved off by a dogged determination to duty, faith, and responsibility. He deals with hurt, and grief, and his slow simmering rage, by throwing himself all the harder into his work. At any rate, unless someone really pushes his do-not-cross-this-line buttons, all people will see is a stoic man who is calm, temperate, rational, and even-handed. Aleron is all those things at the core of his being, but there are deep wounds that scabbed over but never truly healed.
He takes duty and responsibility brutally serious. It was instilled in him at a very young age, and his serious nature compounded it tenfold. When he was sent to the Templars, he blamed his sister as the responsible party, but also took it upon himself that he owed it to the family to succeed at it, and with excellence. It was, in part, to prove to the family that they'd made a mistake sending him away, and another part to 'win' over his sister who he knew would never put the needs of the family above her wants. But over time, he did come to wholly embrace the ideal of service to the Maker, allowing his faith and devotion to fill the holes caused by hurt and rejection. His faith has become the foundation of everything he says and does, the place he falls back to in times of difficulty.
Aleron is not unkind, but he is stern and strict... hardest of all on himself. In many ways, he's quite considerate of others, but he struggles to connect with people. He projects as a loner, and is absolutely a brooder. Beneath that, he's actually lonely and craves relationships with others which are so hard for him and fall right into his sister's lap. Some of his struggles come from feeling overwhelmed in a crowd, some are fueled of his exceptional caution and natural distrust, the rest come from a fear that allowing someone in will see them taken away or dead, as has happened so often before. He blames himself for the death of his beloved wife and takes his loneliness as just punishment for having caused it, yet another burden to endure without complaint.Strengths & Weaknesses
Base Skills: Sword and Shield
Of particular note, Aleron is an adequate swordsman, but nothing spectacular. His talents in regards to battle is that he's a keen strategist and an intense student. Any skill he exhibits is the direct result of dedicated study of proper technique and execution, followed by dogged training to put it into practice after. He might not use a broad range of weapons, but he's studied them all to have a better understanding how to counter them. Not a complete idiot with a bow, but he's no crackpot marksman either. Among his strengths is the breadth of knowledge that's a result of his devouring books in his areas of interest: history, languages, literature. His receptive language skills outstrip his expressive language by a long stretch.Inventory
Seeker Armor (full set), a silverite Seeker shield, silverite longsword with a ram's head pommel, 1 miniature oil painting of a very lovely brunette, a plain gold wedding band, 1 well-trained Green Dales Feral, a copy of the Chant of Light, a stack of old letters tied with a lady's hair ribbon.Motivation
A desire to learn if this Inquisition truly was the directive of the Divine before her passing. If so, he feels duty bound to stay and see her will executed until the next Divine is chosen to provide direction for the Chantry and its servants, including the Seekers of Truth. (He's still struggling to believe that the Lord Seeker chose to annul the Nevarran Accord, having been away when this happened.)
SAMPLESSample 1 Sample 2